Knowing what we put on our skin really is as important as knowing what we are putting into our bodies. With this in mind, I am on a continual learning journey to improve my family’s health both internally and externally. Making our own products may take more time, but this tiny factor really is nothing compared to the benefits of knowing what we are using without any of the chemicals that can be found in many products these days.
Chamomile is such an amazing flower. It brings with it properties that can help with treating hay fever, inflammation, muscle spasms, menstrual disorders, insomnia, ulcers and gastrointestinal disorders.
In this recipe, it is the main ingredient in a simple cooling facial cleansing gel that can be used daily. This recipe will give you enough gel to use for at least a week, as long as you store it in a refrigerator.
As with anything homemade, please try this product out on a small area of skin prior to using all over.
- 1 Chamomile herbal tea bag
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tsp whole flax-seed
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, ground finely in a blender
- Boil the water in a sauce pan and remove from heat. Add the tea bag and let it stew for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bag and add the flax seeds and return to the heat and reboil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a sterile glass jar.
- To use, sprinkle small amount of oats into the palm of your hand and mix with the flax gel mixture. Massage into face and rinse well.
- Store both the flax gel and ground oats in separate containers in your fridge and they will keep for a few weeks.